This recipe yields 16 big muffins or 24 large muffins.
2 very ripe bananas
½ cup agave nectar
¼ coconut oil
¼ cup organic brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup of cricket powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup crickets (without legs and antennae), finely chopped
½ cup sunflower seeds, shelled and chopped
Decorations: some rolled oats and sunflower seeds
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees C.
- Peel the bananas. Mash them in a bowl.
- Mix the bananas with eggs, agave nectar, coconut oil and brown sugar.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cricket powder, baking soda, baking powder, and rolled oats.
- Combine banana-mix with flour-mix.
- Gently stir in chopped crickets and sunflower seeds. Don’t overdo it.
- If the sunflower seeds were unsalted, stir in 1 pinch of salt.
- Spoon the batter into a paper lines muffin tray.
- Decorate with some oats and sunflower seeds on top of each muffin.
- Bake in the oven until a toothpick can be inserted into the center of a muffin and come back clean. This will normally means 15-25 minutes of baking. (Small muffins get ready quicker, big ones take more time.)