This recipe is for approximately 20 Cricket Fritters.
¼ cup fresh ginger, finely chopped
Cooking oil, as needed
200 grams all-purpose flour (+ some extra if necessary)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon chili paste
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup boiled crickets, chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 red chili, thinly sliced
3 small chives, cut to 1 inch strips
½ cup cooked corn kernels
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Sauté the chopped ginger in some cooking oil for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Mix all-purpose flour with 1 cup of water, the chili paste and the salt. The goal is smooth fritter batter that is and tick and not watery. If necessary, add some more all-purpose flour to get it right.
- Stir in crickets, red onion, chili, chives and corn kernels.
- Heat up cooking oil in a large pot.
- When the oil is warm enough, scoop up a spoonful of the mixture and drop into the oil. When the outside is golden brown, the fritter is ready. (This will usually take 3-5 minutes.) Take up the fritter and place on a cooling rack.
- Make the rest of the fritters. Do not put in too many fritters at once in the oil, because that will cool down the oil too much. Also, each fritter needs some space to move around freely in the pot.
- Take the fritters from the cooling rack and place them on a serving tray. Garnish with cilantro.